Тест №2 по грамматике для старших курсов с ключами
FINAL WRITTEN PRACTICE TEST
Instruction: Fill in each gap with an appropriate answer and put down the letter corresponding to the right answer in your ANSWER SHEET.
Only one answer is possible.
* * *
1. The World Cup Finals were in 1958 and Pele was looking forward ….
A. to playing B. to play C. to be playing
2. Climate is very important in … people’s lives.
A. most of B. most С. the most
3. In Madeira they have … weather almost all year.
A. the good B. good С. a good
4. He thought he … be able to play in the finals in Sweden.
A. isn’t going to B. couldn’t С. wasn’t going to
5. The history of the World Cup is … short one.
A. quite a B. a quite С. quite
6. The meeting … in the hall, but had to be cancelled at the last moment.
A. was to take place B. was to has taken place С. was to have been taken place D. was to have taken place
7. Football … played for over a hundred years, but the first World Cup competition wasn’t held until 1930.
A. has been B. is being C. was
8. Italy,… won, went on to win the 1938 final.
A. which B. that С. who
9. The 1934 final was … two European teams, Czechoslovakia and Italy
A. among B. between С. against
10. The 1934 World Cup was again won by the home team, … has been the case
several times since then.
A. what B. this С. which
11. Now’s hardly the time to tell me you didn’t need a test at all,… ?
A. did you B. is it C. isn’t it
12. If the doctor had been called earlier, she … today.
A. would still be alive B. would still have been alive C. will still have been alive D. will still be alive
13. … resigned, we would have been forced to sack him.
A. Had he not B. Hadn’t he C. He had not D. He not had
14. Unless it… , I’ll pick you up at 6.00.
A. doesn’t rain B. will not rain C. rains D. will rain
15. We’d better not delay reading this any longer,… ?
A. should we B. did we C. had we
16. Eighteen months after … in Norwich, she decided to buy … house.
A. she has arrived, her own B. arriving, her a C. arriving, her own D. she has arrived, herself
17. Children seem to find computers easy, but many adults aren’t used to … with microtechnology.
A. work B. the work C. working
18. The party was taken out to see a film … on location in the desert.
A. being shot B. being now shot C. while being shot D. that being shot
19. Bad money always … back.
A. have come B. come C. are coming D. comes
20. You can pick up the basics quite quickly, if you ….
A. want to B. would С. are willing to
Instruction: In your ANSWER SHEET put the letter (А, В, С or D) for the word or phrase that best completes each sentence. Only one answer is possible.
20. I’ve read that report so many times I feel I know it… .
A. forwards B. backwards С. sideways D. upside down
21. I think we’ve kept everybody in the … about the arrangements for far too
A. gloom B. dusk C. dark D. night
22. Carolyn is not really well … with office procedures.
A. dressed B. versed C. acquainted D. done
23. Their latest proposal runs … to everything they’ve been saying over the last year.
A. counter B. against С opposed D. competitive
24. The complainant… libel proceedings against the magazine.
A. founded B. created С. initiated D. set off
25. I kept trying to suggest to her it was time to go but she refused to … a hint.
A. drop B. give C. take D. accept
26. Her outgoing character contrasts … with that of her sister.
A. sharply B. thoroughly С. fully D. coolly
27. My father is forever finding … with the way I dress.
A. error B. mistake С. blemish D. fault
28. Since Jonas Salk … his vaccine, infantile paralysis has virtually disappeared from the United States.
A. surfaced with B. discovered C. raised the price of D. elevated
29. Many immigrants were prepared to work hard and in appalling conditions for the … of their descendants.
A. sake B. health C. property D. entertainment
30. Stock-market analysts … a great variety of financial indicators.
A. come up with B. look into C. monitor D. take care of